BIG NEWS!! My facebook group and my teaching is now open to ALL kinds of creative people and artists – not just musicians. This makes me so happy!! Come on over and check out the NEW Tribe – my free community on Facebook here @Mind-Body Spirit Tribe for Creative Souls.
So today’s inaugural video was on “How to Wake Up Your Creative Muse”. You can watch the video here.
Here’s some of what I talk about in the video:
Q: What is a “Creative Muse”?
I find this concept delightful and I love to play with it. What does it mean to you?
You can’t pin down Spirit or put a label on this concept, but really – it’s not about the words – it’s about the Spirit behind the words!
Some other words people use for the same thing (some of these were offered by viewers of the video today): Vision, Spirit, Source, God, random inspiration, Inspiration, the Creative Urge, magic, insight, “my understanding is spiritual…Divine Idea”…
Q: What attracts your Muse?
- Being open
- When I’m doing what I WANT to do
- Connection with God
- Connecting with desire
- A powerful powerful performance, a recording, something that “sweeps over me”
- Feeling safe, no fear of judgment or failure
- Getting quiet, meditation, listening to the quiet, still voice within
- Being in Nature, looking at working
- Thinking about what my role as an artist is in the world – PURPOSE!
- Going to the museum, going to concerts
- When I feel a big emotion that is building up and needs to be expressed
- What do I think? All of the above, AND….
I think a CHILDLIKE SPIRIT attracts the Great Mystery, Creative Spirit/Muse. Children play in a creative way naturally. Children are naturally in tune and connected with the creative Spirit. They are open and spontaneous… they don’t think about it… they just LIVE in a state of wonder and freshness, and playfulness is always creative.
3 Steps to Wake up your Creative Muse
- Get Clear. Open up and clear the mind and body – of mental clutter and physical tension. You need a system – a way to get out of your own way. And you need to practice doing that, because it’s not always easy to do.
- Intention. You have to know what you want. You have to WANT inspiration, and ASK for it. If you want to “channel” your Creative Muse, so that Spirit can come into you and flow through you and out your artwork, you need to WANT that. Whether it’s painting, writing, music-making, or anything else creative, you have to allow inspired ideas to come to you. These inspired ideas come from somewhere other than the conscious, thinking mind / prefrontal cortex.
- Let go, trust, and be patient. Let go of your ideas and trust that your Creative Muse knows even better than you what is best to convey. Let go so that Creative Muse will give you that something that’s even better! Let go of your prescribed timeline. The Spirit needs the time it needs, and creativity takes the time it takes!
Creative expression is a whole-Self experience. Mind, body, soul, and Spirit. Make sure you don’t forget the body! It’s very common for us to split ourselves into those parts, but that will get in the way of Inspiration.
Do you have any other thoughts you’d like to share on waking up the Creative Muse? I’d love to hear your comments below!
Then, come on over to the Mind-Body Spirit Tribe for Creative Souls! The conversation over there is very active, and I’d love to interact with you! I go live every Monday at noon (Eastern) for “Mondays with Jennifer” ~ I hope you can make it next week!