We all know that we play better when we’re focused, and concentration is a key to learning, right?
Sure! Everybody knows what if feels like (and what a disaster it can be) when you’re onstage and your mind starts wandering… you mess up!
Here’s a revolutionary way of looking at focus, though, which will show you that you’re probably NOT focusing in the best way. Here’s the live video I gave today on this topic:
In a nutshell…
- When you DON’T FOCUS….. YIKES! (mistakes, embarrassment, frustration, trainwreck, etc.)
- What do you do when you realize you’re unfocused and not paying attention to what you’re doing? You try harder, right? Not really a good idea, though….. Trying harder means more effort, and what you really want is for your music to be EFFORTLESS, with the minimum tension required to do the task.
- You’ve got to look at HOW you’re focusing, and on WHAT!
- Get your priorities clear: what’s your BIG PICTURE (or general mission… for your life… for your music… why are you a musician, anyway?). THEN you can include your specific goals (I want to play an F# next time!).
- FOCUS on THIS: You will make your best music and learn fastest when you are paying attention to your PRIMARY INSTRUMENT first (that’s why it’s primary!) – your mind-body-Self. YOU are #1!
- You can’t do ANYTHING without your primary instrument, and everything you do improves when your primary instrument is functioning well – with optimal coordination and well-being. Your sound reflects your primary instrument’s state of Being. You MUST make that the most important thing FIRST. It needs to be your PRIMARY FOCUS – and everything else fits into that.
But this is a SKILL! It must be learned and practiced!
Fortunately, it’s REALLY easy to learn this, and I can teach you how to do it! You can learn the first step on your own (for free!) in just 10 minutes, and then it takes just 2 minutes twice a day (with consistent practice) for your brain to start getting it!
Start here: Take my FREE 5-Day Cycle Challenge!
Sign up here: http://bit.ly/bestwarmupchallenge
Let me know how it goes – I’m here to help you feel better and play better!
p.s. Make sure to join my free facebook group, where we’re doing the challenge together and much more! JOIN HERE: http://bit.ly/practicetribe